Hello Everyone!
Now that we got our dessert out of the way and fulfilled our sweet cravings…and we will have a great dinner tonight, let’s start with breakfast tomorrow! The most important meal of the day!
Yes I know you heard this a million times and you have skipped breakfast many times but it is true, this is most important for diabetics, and everyone else for that matter! If you don’t eat a good breakfast, or skip it, your body (after fasting all night) thinks it won’t get another meal for a long while and goes into this “starvation mode” (as I mentioned in an earlier post). When you finally eat lunch, your body stores it as fat because it thinks, “I’d better save this for later. I don’t know when the next meal will come.” And that can lead to weight gain, higher sugar levels and feeling sluggish all day. I am not going to keep lecturing why breakfast is so important but you can read this article if you want to know more reasons why.
Ok so now that we all know we will be eating breakfast each day, let’s start with something quick, and easy to make and eat … CEREAL !!! Yes cereal is my fastest choice and when I am not in the mood to eat breakfast, I pour some cereal into a bowl and since I am lactose intolerant… I add some yogurt! I keep packs of dried cranberries, raisins, almonds and walnuts, and throw in a little bit with this cereal mixture. Sometimes I even cut up a banana (my favorite fruit) or an apple. I pick a cereal with a higher content of fibre and low sugar. If you tend to favor sweet cereal, add a packet of sugar twin sprinkled on top instead.
For those that want a hot breakfast, I suggest Oatmeal packets. All you do is boil water, add the packet and stir
Quick, simple, fast and easy! You can add any of the food items I mentioned above. I love adding raisins and diced apple to my oatmeal!
I also want to share my recipe for breakfast when I want to cook for others too! It’s basically like a ‘western sandwich’ style omelet. I look in the fridge to see what vegetables I have on hand: onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, green peppers, even broccoli! I dice up to a small handful of each, depending on how many people you want to feed. For 1-2 people, just half a handful of diced vegetables will do. You can even use frozen or canned vegetables: peas, carrots, corn, and beans.
Turn on your stove to high with a large non-stick frying pan. For each person, I use one large egg. I scramble it, then add the diced vegetables and mix it really well. I don’t cook with salt but I do like garlic and add a tiny bit of crushed garlic. Add salt and/or pepper as desired. Do one omelet per bowl or dish as you have to cook one at a time.
Now, turn the stove to medium (on my stove it’s a 6) and spray with Pam (cooking spray) then pour the mixture in the middle to make it look like an omelet. I think drizzle some canola oil around the edges of the pan and swirl the pan around so the oil goes all over the edges of the omelet.
Cook for 2-4 minutes until it is a light golden color on the edges. Flip it gently and cook the other side. At this point you can add some grated cheese and put a cover on it to let the cheese melt.
My boys LOVE BACON so while I am cooking these, I cook bacon in the microwave too! 
I use the paper towel method and my microwave takes about 75 seconds per slice.
People ask me all the time to write out my recipes. I’m sorry my omelet recipe isn’t typed out in a traditional recipe format, but I love to cook and cooked all my life, so for me, it’s very hard to write down exact measurements as it’s all judged on how I feel at the time. Some days I don’t feel like much onion taste, other days, I want more peas and carrots, or if you crave some sweetness, add more corn! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment